Thursday, September 26, 2013

guest blogging at Homebirth Cesarean Interational

I am guest blogging today at Homebirth Cesarean International.  I wrote an Open Letter to the Natural Birth Community. It's something I had been thinking about for a while, and I am thankful for the opportunity to share it with HBCI.

Something in me awakened when an LLL leader told me about this organization. I immediately found their facebook group and joined. It has been a huge help to have these women to share, process, and grieve our experiences.

HBC (homebirth cesarean) is the name this organization has given to women, like me, who planned an out of hospital birth but ended up with a c-section. They provide support and acknowledge our stories because they matter too. Our own natural birth communities tend to not know what to do with us. After reading so many stories from moms in the HBC group, I was inspired to write the piece on our behalf.

I struggled with understanding why I had to go through so much in my birth experience. I'm seeing more and more clearly that I am an advocate. I want to advocate for other women who end up with a birth story like mine so that their grief is not compounded by a lack of acceptance or support. Sadly today our natural birth communities have some work to do as evidenced by the countless stories that have been shared among our group. We can do better. Our hurting moms need us all to do better.



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I didn't know a support group like this existed! I think that's so awesome and needed! So cool how you are able to take such a hard part of your story and use it to help other women who are in the same situation.

    ReplyDelete